Launch Day!

About 10 am on Wednesday, July 2nd, Tikvah got wet for only the third time since I’ve owned her.  Jim Hinds and Emily were on hand to assist. It was the culmination of several days of furious activity where I (assisted by Em on Tuesday) completed a number of jobs including buffing the topsides, fixing the joint between the hull and the ballast keel, and painting the bottom. Of course the tarp and frame needed to come down, too. I don’t have too many pictures for these tasks because I had such limited time after school ended – roughly four days. 

Launch day was interesting. It happens so quickly when the boat is stored at the boat club because it was only about 50 yard to the water. Last year I had the boat hauled from Milton to the Town River in Quincy, and then the engine wouldn’t start. BoatUS towed me all the way around the harbor to Savin Hill – about a 2 hour ride. It was a long day all around.
This year it was over in about 15 minutes. Jim and Em helped me get the boom on, the sails up and some other housekeeping done. Then we had a great lunch at the club, outside under the awning. The skies looked ominous, and they did open up after lunch. Jim had left by then so Em and I waited it out. When there seemed to be a break we went down to the boat to prepare it for the trip out to the mooring. We weren’t there long when I saw a squall line coming at us across the water. I shouted at Em a few times to help close the boat up and run for cover.  We ran to the mast shed on the back beach just as the rain came down in buckets. In 30 seconds we were soaked. We waited there a while, watching it pour, watching the different cloud formations. Eventually we walked back to the clubhouse, and had hazelnut coffee (Em) and a beer (me). 
By the time it cleared again and we got back to the boat, the tide had now dropped considerably and the boat was hard in the mud. We went home, got changed and then came back and moved it when there was a bit more water. It was good to get the boat out to the mooring, even if the mooring field is becoming ever more crowded.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: