Atomic 4 fun

March 2006 (Spring Break)

Atomic 4 Fun

I had great plans for working on Tikvah during Spring Break. I dreamed about all the stuff I’d get done, and actually put together a list of about 100 items. I knew many of them would wait until later in the Spring, but I hoped to get a good jump on things while I was not in school. Of course there were dozens of errands to do, and things to fix around the house. Then each time I thought I was ready to get things going on the boat I’d find I was missing some critical part and had to run out or order it. Finally after over a week of vacation I made a little progress.

First I wanted to get the engine right. After purchasing a used Yanmar diesel and storing it for over a year in my garage, I recently decided it would not be best for me to install it at this time (I’m about to become a full-time student again). So the Yanmar went up for sale, and I helped support Moyer Marine by spending freely on Atomic 4 parts, including a fresh water cooling unit. Before I installed the FWC I wanted to clean out the gunk from the cooling channels in the block. As per instructions, I capped off the bypass hose after the T connection on the water jacket side plate, and before the thermostat housing. I also removed the thermostat, and plugged the resulting hole in the housing. I installed a new Moyer water pump (the original Oberdorfer had several problems) and found it was not pushing much water through the engine. I shut everything down for the night and slept on the problem.

In the morning I decided to take stock. The engine had started right up, which was a great thing after all the problems I had last year (probably of my own making, but never mind). The water pump was new and looked fine. I tried connecting a hose directly to the ‘T’ in the side of the water jacket plate, and got better results. A clog in the T? I stuck a screwdriver in there and there was definitely something that did not belong. Off comes the T, and because there’s a diverter cap on the other side I removed the whole water jacket plate as well. It needed to be done anyway . . .

Here’s what I found in the ‘T’:

Wouldn’t you know, I had just realized this Spring that I needed a raw water strainer. Of course I should have know that, but even the surveyor who looked the boat over before I started tearing it apart did not see that problem. Lesson learned. Here’s what the water jacket side plate and the alternator bracket looked like when I took them off:

Then, after applying my favorite tool – a wire wheel on my bench grinder:

Oh, and I was pleased the inside of the water jacket was not a total disaster:

Now, as long as I have the side plate and the alternator off, I might as well (no words have gotten me into more trouble than those four) go
ahead and paint the engine.

NEXT: Engine Painting

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: