Painting the Engine

March 14, 2006

March 2006, part 2


Engine painting

engine_cleaned_masked.jpg (152925 bytes)engine primed.jpg (73950 bytes)

engine aft before.jpg (88566 bytes)engine parts painted.jpg (145746 bytes)

Drive coupling replacement

prop shaft parts tools.jpg (59316 bytes)prop shaft arrangement.jpg (98581 bytes)prop shaft arrangement 02.jpg (87129 bytes)removing shaft coupling.jpg (96103 bytes)pulling coupling.jpg (89879 bytes)coupling pulled.jpg (81531 bytes)removing coupling nut.jpg (91877 bytes)

Advertisements

Atomic 4 fun

March 1, 2006

March 2006 (Spring Break)

Atomic 4 Fun

I had great plans for working on Tikvah during Spring Break. I dreamed about all the stuff I’d get done, and actually put together a list of about 100 items. I knew many of them would wait until later in the Spring, but I hoped to get a good jump on things while I was not in school. Of course there were dozens of errands to do, and things to fix around the house. Then each time I thought I was ready to get things going on the boat I’d find I was missing some critical part and had to run out or order it. Finally after over a week of vacation I made a little progress.

First I wanted to get the engine right. After purchasing a used Yanmar diesel and storing it for over a year in my garage, I recently decided it would not be best for me to install it at this time (I’m about to become a full-time student again). So the Yanmar went up for sale, and I helped support Moyer Marine by spending freely on Atomic 4 parts, including a fresh water cooling unit. Before I installed the FWC I wanted to clean out the gunk from the cooling channels in the block. As per instructions, I capped off the bypass hose after the T connection on the water jacket side plate, and before the thermostat housing. I also removed the thermostat, and plugged the resulting hole in the housing. I installed a new Moyer water pump (the original Oberdorfer had several problems) and found it was not pushing much water through the engine. I shut everything down for the night and slept on the problem.

In the morning I decided to take stock. The engine had started right up, which was a great thing after all the problems I had last year (probably of my own making, but never mind). The water pump was new and looked fine. I tried connecting a hose directly to the ‘T’ in the side of the water jacket plate, and got better results. A clog in the T? I stuck a screwdriver in there and there was definitely something that did not belong. Off comes the T, and because there’s a diverter cap on the other side I removed the whole water jacket plate as well. It needed to be done anyway . . .

Here’s what I found in the ‘T’:

Wouldn’t you know, I had just realized this Spring that I needed a raw water strainer. Of course I should have know that, but even the surveyor who looked the boat over before I started tearing it apart did not see that problem. Lesson learned. Here’s what the water jacket side plate and the alternator bracket looked like when I took them off:

Then, after applying my favorite tool – a wire wheel on my bench grinder:

Oh, and I was pleased the inside of the water jacket was not a total disaster:

Now, as long as I have the side plate and the alternator off, I might as well (no words have gotten me into more trouble than those four) go
ahead and paint the engine.

NEXT: Engine Painting